Ground Beef and Cabbage – So easy and so delicious!
This is a great one-dish meal – just add some good bread to soak up the juices or serve over rice or pasta. Plus, it offers the perfect way to get nutrient-rich cabbage into your meal routine.
To watch my cooking demo video for this recipe, Click HERE. And, please do consider subscribing. Thank you!
Here is the URL for the original recipe on which my variations are based. It is super as is!
Here is my latest take:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic or to taste, minced
- 1 pound or so of finely chopped cabbage
- 5-6 oz (or more) grated or thinly sliced/chopped carrot
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (I use Penzys)
- 1 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Smoked garlic salt (optional)
- Sharp paprika
- Turkish or regular oregano
- 1 pound lean ground beef
Sauté onions in butter until starting to get soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add cabbage and carrot, mix a bit, add tomatoes with juice, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper in a large pot over low heat. Bring cabbage mixture to a simmer and cook down a bit.
Crumble ground beef into the pot. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender and ground beef is cooked through and the texture is to your liking, stirring occasionally. Start checking after 35 minutes after covering.
Check seasoning and adjust as/if needed. Cook down if still more “liquidy” or crunchy for your taste.
* You can play with the seasonings. For my most recent version, along with Italian seasoning (I used Penzeys brand, but any blend will do) I added some smoked garlic salt, oregano, paprika, and a good dose of grated parmesan cheese. Have fun creating your own special version. E.g. add beets and caraway seeds for an Eastern European take, or corn kernels, jalapeno and cilantro for a Mexican flair. Or just stick to the basics – it’s all good!